Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Highlights of the Week

As I write this post I can honestly say that I have never been more excited about the church and the mission that Christ has for her. It is my prayer that the Lord will use Harvest Bible Chapel Calgary to bring glory to Himself, to build disciples to maturity so that they may proclaim the good news to a lost world!
This last week has been a full one...as they all have been to this point...but great!
We had some great conversations with Pastor James this past week. We discussed the sufficiency of Scripture. I love to see the passion for the Word of God that Pastor James has. It is heart's desire to ignite a passion in his congregation to read the Word of God for themselves. As such it is important that people are able to see the message coming out from the Scriptures that they are reading. We then discussed a passage from Revelation that Pastor James was going to be preaching. I learned a ton as we worked through the passage. God's Word is so awesome! The challenge from the Scripture that we were looking at was whether or not we are loving the Lord and others in the same way that we used to. The Scripture then goes to directly tell us how to get back to where we need to be. Remember, repent and return. Husbands and wives this is also a challenge for us in regards to our relationships. Want your love for one another to be the way it used to be...then do the things that you used to do. Needless to say alot to chew on and apply when it comes to your two most important love relationships. Do I love the Lord in the same way that I first did...if not then I need to remember what I once did, repent and then return to doing what I once did. Challenging stuff!
We have learned alot just by watching Pastor James lead in his daily tasks. Whenever we have the opportunity to spend sometime with him we always go away with something to chew on.
I had my first evaluations this past week. There was some great feedback in regards to my strengths and my constraints and the areas that they would like to see me grow in. It is so refreshing to be in an enviroment where I am challenged to grow and held accountable to do so. This really brings to mind the Scripture that challenges us to spur one another onto love and good deeds (Heb.10:24,25).
Another highlight was a time of prayer at the Shaws this last Friday. Each month they host an evening of prayer from 9-12 on Friday night. It was a great time coming before the throne as a group. This is definitely something that I want HBC Calgary to be continually focusing on. Prayer needs to be a vital part of everything that we do.
This last couple of days we were up at Camp Harvest with the Ministry Leadership Team from Harvest. They were there to discuss how they can become even more effective in their mission to glorify Christ through the fulfilling of the Great Commission. It is great to see these guys work together with the goal to become even more fruitful for the Lord. This really helped me to begin to think through where the Lord would want us to be in the next 3-5 years as HBC Calgary. A great exercise that really helps you think through what things are important if you are going to fulfill the mission.
I can't wait to go back to Calgary to have our first open house. Details will be finalized in the next couple of days, but we are looking at having the open house on the evening of the 18th . If you know of someone who benefit from that meeting please have them contact me.
Family highlights this past week were going to an apple orchard with another family from the Training Center, and Hope is now riding her bike like a pro. Both girls are excited that they have teeth that are loose. Heather continues to be very busy and is learning a lot in her time here. I will have her post some of the things that she is learning sometime soon. I love my 3 ladies so much! They are such a joy to come home to everyday!
Signing off for now. Working on getting a website up and running, will let you know more when it is up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment